Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 52: Peru Peak Shelter to Manchester Center

Today's Miles: 10.1
Total Miles: 538.1

This morning was another rare morning I was forced to set an alarm. I had to make it into town by noon so I could pick up my mail drop. I was up a little after 5:00 but tried to keep my sleeping bag out until the last minute. I'm guessing it was no warmer than the low 40s this morning. I struggled to get motivated, but finally got on the trail around 6:30. I raced uphill to Peru Peak and Styles Peak. There wasn't much of a view, so I wasn't too tempted to stop. The mountains of today's hike made the time constraint more pressing. I knew the first two climbs would be easy. It was Bromley Mountain I was afraid of. I stopped in Mad Tom Notch for a quick snack and filled up on water at the hand pump. At least I was able to get an upper body workout today. It took at least 20 pumps before the water started flowing, but it was cold and clear when it finally made its way out. I started my quick ascent of Bromley after. Most of the climb was gradual and easy to breeze through. The elevation profile looked like it was going to be really steep at the top, but it wasn't bad at all. There was a lodge and a ski lift at the top, as well as some incredible views. I stopped for a few minutes to talk to a pair of SOBOs I hadn't met yet. They were the first ones I've seen in days. I tightened up my shoes in preparation for the descent and continued on, knowing that the race was on. I danced around rocks and roots and raced across bog bridges. I passed a seemingly wonderful lady who I normally would have stopped and had a long conversation with, but we had to cut it short since it was already 10:30. I made it to the trailhead by 11:00, but now came the hard part - getting into town. 

I tried to call the taxi service in town, but they said they were too busy to pick me up. It was 5 miles away, so I knew I would have to hitch. I nervously waited by the roadside with my thumb out, but all the cars kept passing by. I thought I would never get into town. Finally, a woman in a little red car on her way to work pulled over. I breathed a sigh of relief, ran over, and crammed myself in. She brought me to the top of the road the post office was on, and I walked the rest of the way there. I made it with plenty of time and was finally able to get my mail drop and repack all the food in it. I headed back to the main road, and the next thing I knew, I was walking to Shaw's supermarket a mile and a half away. I used to work at a Shaw's and have a very hard time resisting their cookies. There was another store less than half that distance, but at that point what's another mile and a half? I made sure to buy fruit, one of the first trail town priorities, and the cookies, of course. I called up Jeff at the Green Mountain House so I could be picked up. This place was the only reason I planned on staying in town. I had heard such wonderful things about it, so I made sure to make a reservation a few days in advance since it can fill up very quickly. He pulled up, surprised that I had ended up at Shaw's since most hikers don't get that far. We headed back to the hostel where I was given the tour and rules of the house. It is incredibly clean and very well run (and a pint of Ben & Jerry's is included with the stay). I'm the only SOBO here, but there are 7 other NOBOs. I wish I could stay here longer, but it'll be back to the trail tomorrow.

I do have to say that this is the first day I've actually felt myself getting stronger. When I started, there was absolutely no way I would have been able to climb 2 mountains above 3000 feet and finish 10 miles in 4 hours. It feels pretty good right now that I can say that. 

Mad Tom Notch water pump

Bromley Mountain




Old shoes at the Green Mountain House 

No comments:

Post a Comment