Saturday, August 10, 2013

Day 36: Ethan Pond Campsite to Garfield Ridge Campsite

Today's Miles: 14.5
Total Miles: 362.8

I was woken up last night just before 11:00 to the sound of rain drops landing on my tent. I should have known this was going to happen. I jumped out of my sleeping bag and grabbed my clothes hanging on the line outside, although maybe a good shower would have done them some good. I slept in this morning, dreading getting out into the rain like I usually do. I just despise packing everything up when it's all soaking wet and adds about 5 more pounds to my pack. I'm actually pretty sure the thing that got me moving was the fact that I kept catching a whiff of my hiker stink, and it was driving me crazy. There have been several people the last few days who have been surprised when I say I'm a thru hiker. They say I look too neat and clean. Maybe it's because I'm wearing pants so they can't see my excessive amount of leg hair, or it's because they're upwind and don't have the odor to judge it off of. I didn't start hiking until 9:00 this morning, knowing that I might arrive at camp a little later than I would like, but still with plenty of daylight left. It wasn't supposed to be too hard of a day anyway. The first 5 miles to Zealand Falls Hut were beautiful. I decided to take the side trail to look at the falls, but encountered a pretty awkward situation. There was a hiker beside the trail pooping, not in the woods or anything. I don't think he saw me until he went to stand up, but I had spun right back around and hightailed it out of there. There was a hut with a bathroom not even a tenth of a mile away. I have no idea what this guy was thinking. I continued to the hut as quickly as I could, just as the sun was coming out. I took the opportunity to take off my shoes and socks while I ate so they could dry from some of the morning's walk. I also had to rebandage my blisters since they had slid off when my socks got wet. The trail continued uphill for a while after the hut, but it started to cloud over. I didn't have any other views because I was stuck walking through clouds the rest of the day. I was crossing my fingers and hoping the thunderstorms that were forecasted would hold off while I was going over the open top of Guyot Mountain. Thankfully, the rains did hold off. I considered stopping at Galehead Hut to see if they had work for stay, but I wanted to get as many miles done as I could so heading into town tomorrow would be shorter. About a mile and a half past the hut, I passed a young hiker who was probably in his teens. He had gotten separated from his family and took a wrong trail. His family was already at the hut, but he had two packs since he had offered to carry his brother's as well. He wasn't doing well and had no food or water. I gave him the water I had and a Clif Bar and tried to call his family. He said he thought he could continue on, so I kept going to the campsite. At this point, it was starting to get dark. This is my other biggest fear beside thunderstorms. I was racing to the site, but it was a steep, rocky uphill so I could only go so fast. My headlamp was pretty ineffective since he was just reflecting off the fog all around. When I finally got here I asked the caretaker if he had heard anything about the hiker since he had a radio. He said the boy had been found and was doing alright. I was glad to hear that. I planned on staying in the shelter, but it was pretty full and everyone  was already asleep. I headed to a platform to set up my tent and start on dinner. Another couple came in shortly after I did, and they looked like they were in rough shape too. I made dinner and washed up before getting ready for bed. It's after 10:00 and way past my bedtime!

PLEASE, if you are planning on hiking, know your limitations and the area you are hiking. Make sure you have someone to hike with if possible, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area. And ALWAYS be prepared for an emergency. Nature is unpredictable. You never know what it might throw your way. 

Zeacliff
Zealand Falls
Mount Guyot
In a cloud

Spiderweb covered in rain drops




No comments:

Post a Comment