Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 42: Glencliff to Orford (NH 25A)

Today's Miles: 9.8
Total Miles: 408.5

It has been another day that didn't go exactly as planned, but I'm learning to accept it. I was woken again to the raindrops on my tent. I rolled my eyes and went back to sleep until 6:00. By that time the rain had stopped, so I started packing everything up, including my muddy tent. I remembered to check for damages from the bear the other morning and sure enough, there is now a tear about a half inch long where he ran over it. I'm so thankful it wasn't worse! I stayed for another great breakfast, bandaged up my blisters, and headed to the trail. I started just before 8:00 and was greeted by an immediate ascent. It wasn't terrible, but I was struggling with my feet that felt like cinder blocks. I came to a point where the trail split, and there were no signs marking which way to take. I took the trail to the left, and even though it was the wrong one, I didn't regret it. I ended up walking along the bank of a quiet and peaceful lake. I stopped to watch the loon swimming around and the heron before it flew away. I hoped I would see a moose but didn't have any luck there. There was a nice camping area with a fire pit and a rope swing that would have been a perfect place to spend the night. Unfortunately, I had to keep going. Just before reaching the top of the mountain, I stopped at a small viewpoint. I could hear dogs barking, so I figured there was a house down in the valley close by. After I returned to the trail, I heard something running through the woods in my direction. I looked and saw what I thought was a dog. After looking closer I realized it was a bear! He wasn't very big, just a little guy, but I guess the dogs were chasing him. He stopped about 10 feet from the trail, saw me, turned about 90 degrees, and ran off with the dogs in hot pursuit. I got out of there fast. At the top of the mountain, two NOBOs were taking a break. I asked if they saw the bear, but all they saw were the dogs. I don't know how I've had two close encounters with bears while some NOBOs haven't even seen 1 yet. 

I planned on stopping at Ore Hill Campsite for lunch, simply because I'd heard the privy there was pretty remarkable. It's the little things you appreciate out here! I stopped to talk to an older couple out section hiking just before stopping. They were trying to decide where they wanted to stay tonight, so I told them about the hostel. They gave me a lot of great information on people to get ahold of in Vermont for shuttles and places to stay, so it was great to hear that. I really know nothing about Vermont, so I appreciate whatever advice I can find. They asked if I just got out of school, which is a common question out here. When I said I just got out of the military, they were very appreciative and thanked my husband and me for our service. It means a lot when people show so much appreciation, and I don't think I could ever thank them enough for their support as well. I continued on to the campsite, and the privy was really nice! The Dartmouth Outing Club just finished it recently and made it look like a castle, "throne" and all. There used to be a shelter here, but it burned down a few years ago. The local rumor is that some guy got mad because he found out his wife was going out there to have an affair on him, so he decided to burn it down. Seems a little crazy, but I guess it's possible. 

Shortly after I stopped for lunch, I started to feel really sick. I didn't know if I was going to throw up or pass out. I had about a mile and a half left to the road, so I figured I would see how I felt when I got there. If that wasn't enough, it started to rain. I shouldn't have been surprised. When I got to 25A, I decided to stay at the Mount Cube Sugar Farm. I didn't think I could make it the 5 miles to the shelter and over Mount Cube with the way I was feeling. The farm was about 2 miles from the trailhead, but when I was about halfway there a car pulled over and I was offered a ride. It ended up being the caretaker of the farm, and it couldn't have been better timing. I was struggling at that point. He showed me around, and the first thing I did was lie down on the cot they had out. I took a short nap and finally got around to making dinner and looking around. This place is pretty neat. Apparently the original AT used to pass through here. They even have a picture of the current owner as a kid with Grandma Gatewood when she passed through. She was the first female to thru hike the AT. The current owner is really trying to keep that tradition alive by allowing current hikers to stay as well. I'm glad I got the experience to stay here. It reminds me of a field trip I took in 3rd grade where we walked down the road to a sugaring farm and learned how to tap maple trees and see how syrup was made. It looks like there's a lot of history in this place and possibly a few generations involved in its success. I hope a lot of others take advantage of the generosity offered here. Hopefully I will be feeling better in the morning and can make it a little further than today.  

400 miles today!

Heron in flight

Loon in the lake

Rope swing

Mount Mist view


New privy! It even had skylights. 

The throne

Finally found a salamander. I used to collect these in a bucket after it rained when I was a kid. 

The trail was a muddy mess today.

Mount Cube Sugar Farm


Corn field in front of Mount Cube

Old Sugar House

The farm's homemade pancake mix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment