Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 47: Cloudland Shelter to The Lookout Cabin

Today's Miles: 12.4
Total Miles: 471.0

I stuck with my plan of waking up early and getting out of Cloudland as quickly as possible. I've been realizing that the sun isn't rising as early anymore, and it's barely getting light at 5:30. This is so much different than the sunrise at 4:00 I started with in Maine. As soon as I got to the first road crossing I lost the trail. There was a small DOC sign with a white blaze posted on a tree, but I completely missed it. I wandered around aimlessly until I found the trail again and was pleased to find some trail magic along with it! This is the first time I've seen this stereotypical trail magic with stuffed coolers and the like laid out for hikers. This stuff was still left over from yesterday, but there were still s'mores, bananas, and Cheez Its up for grabs. It couldn't have been a better start to the morning, especially after the night I had. 

The hike today had a few hills, and it was constantly either going up or down. There wasn't too much flat, but the trail is still incredible. It's great to be able to walk and look around instead of having to watch each and every step. I can also happily admit that I've only fallen once since I've been in Vermont. This is a HUGE improvement for me. I stopped for lunch at the On The Edge Farm, a small store a little off the trail by Woodstock. I got my ice cream and caffeine fix and talked to some NOBOs for a little while. While there, Aristotle came up. He's the first SOBO I've seen in a few days. I figured he would have been ahead of me, but I guess not. While at lunch, I decided I would be staying here at the cabin for the night. So many people have recommended it. Again, the shelter spacing is really kind of difficult right now, so I'm taking it day by day. 

I actually had to climb a mountain today instead of just hills. Honestly, it wasn't much taller than some of the hills, and I thought the climb was a little easier. Maybe because there were fewer switchbacks. It did start to get a little rocky and rooty going over it, which I haven't missed too much lately. I stopped at the Winturri shelter about 2.5 miles before the cabin because there isn't any water located here. I had to walk an extra half mile round trip, but it was still early so I didn't mind. While there, I finally had to accept the fact that my pants are no longer. They've been incredibly threadbare on the butt from all the rocks I had to slide down in Maine and New Hampshire. There was literally just one thread holding the seam together. I went to crouch down and heard the final rip. It looks like I'll be getting rid of those when I get to Killington. 

I was definitely able to feel the difference in pack weight after filling up, and the remainder wasn't as easy as I would have hoped. There was a great flat section between two peaks that I was able to cruise through pretty quickly, but I could feel my feet starting to throb, and my right shoulder was aching. I reached the cabin by 5:00, and there were only a few NOBOs here at that point. 

This cabin is really incredible. It's owned by a family who allows hikers to stay in it when they're not using it. There is a small deck built on top of the roof that is supposed to be able to catch an incredible sunrise. The view in general is spectacular, and you can see all the way to the Whites. It's really spacious on the inside, and even has two levels. There are 10 of us here so far, and there is plenty of room if more show up later. Thanks, Pete family, for sharing this beautiful place with myself and the other hikers who have stopped here. 

There are so many beautiful hillsides with farmhouses sitting alongside them. This would be an incredible place to live. 

Trail Magic!

It says, "464 S'more miles!" Not true in my case, but still a cute idea!


Where'd the trail go?! It's somewhere in there...


Giant millipede

The Lookout 

The moon over the mountains

 Sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment