Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 29: Carlo Col Shelter to Trident Col Campsite

Today's Miles: 10.1
Total Miles: 291.4

I'm home. Well, kind of. I finally crossed my first state line and headed into New Hampshire today. I've been waiting for this moment for 281 miles, but I don't think Maine was ready for us to leave yet. As soon as we headed out of the shelter, we were faced with a large boulder scramble going uphill - the worst! Being only a half mile away from the state line was motivation enough to get up and get through it. When I finally saw the sign, I was elated. I reveled in the moment, thinking of how far I've already come, but still humbled by how far I still have left to travel. We were immediately greeted with an ascent up Mount Success, the first mountain in a new state with an appropriate name, I thought. It was a beautiful spot for a break, and since I was already hungry, I pigged out. I'm still terrible about packing too much food, so when I know I still have a ton left over and I'll be in town the next day, I tend to go a little overboard. The terrain today was much easier than the last few, but I still hurt quite a bit by lunch. I was glad to be doing another short day. For some reason, my pack tore up my back today too. Now I have raw spots all over my lower back, and I'm a little perturbed by it. I've had no other issues with it the entire hike. At least tomorrow will be a short day into town and maybe it can breathe some, although I don't think the rain expected in the morning will help much. The number of SOBOs I've seen recently has dwindled significantly. I met another one at the campsite tonight that Dr. Evil knew, named Icepack. I wonder how many more are behind us. It has already started raining tonight, so here's to hoping I can stay dry! 

Hey, New Hampshire!


On top of Mount Success

One would think that after almost 300 miles, I would be able to make it down a rock without wiping out. Nope!

Reflections on the pond


Raindrops collecting on my rainfly

No comments:

Post a Comment