Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day 48: The Lookout Cabin to Sherburne Pass, Killington

Today's Miles: 15.4
Total Miles: 486.4

As I laid there in the cabin last night, I was awoken by the luminescence of the full moon streaming through the window. It would have been a great night for hiking had it called for it - perfectly clear and incredibly bright. I kept waking periodically, afraid I would miss the sunrise. I had to keep checking my watch because it was too light outside to tell what time it really was. I had a dream that I missed the sunrise, which finally stirred me from my slumber. I headed straight to the roof, which wasn't the best idea. It's difficult to climb a ladder when my feet haven't woken up yet. I made it just minutes before the bright pink orb started to make its appearance over a distant mountain. There was only one other person that made it up for it, and I was a little saddened all the other hikers didn't get to experience it. It was really incredible, and I was glad I was there to witness it. I stayed up top for about half an hour before heading back down and gathering my things. 

I was too distracted by the vast amount of spiderwebs I was charged with clearing with my face and arms across the trail to really pay much attention to the trail itself. There were a few hills, but nothing too difficult. I was thankful to see the first NOBO on the trail, which I later discovered was Whirled Peas, someone that Hobo said I would be coming across today. Her husband is in the military too, so we talked for a few minutes before continuing on. I've met a lot of great NOBOs, and it's unfortunate that I won't see them again along the trail. 

It didn't take long for the little ninja spiders to reconstruct their webs across the trail, and I soon found myself walking into a few more. Sometimes it is just a never ending battle. I stopped at the Stony Brook Shelter for lunch after filling on water since it wasn't far off the trail. I had a climb to Quimby Mountain after, which turned out to be terrible - not the trail condition, just my condition I suppose. It had warmed up a great deal since I had stopped for lunch. It was only expected to be 85 degrees, but this is a pretty significant change from the 60 degree weather I experienced in New Hampshire. I also ate cheese and crackers for lunch. Cheese plus hot weather plus hiking up a mountain equals a bad idea! I was chugging down water like crazy and quickly realized I was almost out. When I reached the top, I just sat for a minute and waited for everything to cool down. I asked a NOBO if there was water ahead because the book didn't list any until town. She said there would be some, and I was relieved. She had faced a similar situation coming up the other side. I continued on and came across some leftover trail magic by the River Road crossing. Someone had left some honeybuns and oatmeal creme pies. I helped myself to a honeybun before crossing and started talking to a section hiker slackpacking for the day named Nana. She and her husband have been section hiking for 13 years. We talked for a few minutes before I continued on. She was waiting at the road for her husband to pick her up. I reached the Thundering Falls area and was able to navigate my way down to a point where I could fill my water. It was a little tricky and slippery, but it was really my only option for the next 4 miles or so. The majority of the remainder of the hike to town was easy terrain. It was a small gradual uphill, but it followed around Kent Pond and into Gifford Woods State Park. There was a part of the trail that was an amazing blanket of fallen pine needles, nary a rock or root in site. It was a beautiful site, and my feet couldn't have been any happier at that moment. It was short lived however, as the last remaining mile or so was a steep uphill climb. I made it to where the trail split for Sherburne Pass and breathed a sigh of relief. I had to take this half mile side trail to the Inn, and I would be done for the day. Too bad the pass was terrible! It was so rocky, downhill, and a terrible way to end the day. I couldn't wait to be at the bottom. I finally made it to the Inn at Long Trail, got into my room, and took the longest shower. I went to the pub downstairs for dinner, where the server presented me with the "hiker menu." It listed all these delicious options - ramen, rice sides, mashed potatoes, snickers, pop tarts...very funny. I needed REAL food. He gave me the real menu so I could get something that wasn't trail food. I scarfed it down and had some apple crisp for dessert. I was sufficiently stuffed and could hardly move after. I made it upstairs, typed this, and am so ready to sleep in a real bed. I've been being woken up by pains in my feet and ankles at night, so hopefully it will be much better tonight. 

Sunrise

Clouds covering the valleys

Fat caterpillar

A real ladder? Thanks to whoever brought this beauty!

More trail magic!

Wildflowers and mountains

Kent Pond

Almost there?


No comments:

Post a Comment