Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 49: Sherburne Pass to Cooper Lodge Shelter

Today's Miles: 8.2
Total Miles: 494.6

Breakfast was included with my stay at the Inn, so of course I made sure I was down there just after they opened. I got a delicious plate of French toast, and it was nice to have something other than pancakes for once. After eating, I headed back upstairs to gather some things to mail home. I had to walk to the post office, which was at least a mile down the road on Route 4. I stopped at the gas station and picked up something to drink, which was just a little further down the road. I then had the rest of the dreaded walk back, which was all uphill this time. I made it back with 45 minutes until checkout, so I packed everything up quickly and took one last quick shower. I checked out of the inn, but stayed around for a little while so I could eat lunch and avoid the hot afternoon hiking. I ate in the pub with some NOBOs who couldn't decide what they wanted to do for the day. I sat outside enjoying the sun for a little while before heading back to the trail, and they were still out there trying to determine their plans. 

The hike today was really quite boring. I climbed up to Killington Mountain, which was actually a pretty gradual and easy climb. I passed the trail junction where the Long Trail and the AT split. I will be following along the Long Trail for the next 100 miles through Vermont, as well as the AT. The LT continues on North through Vermont an additional 170 miles. I reached the Cooper Lodge Shelter early, even despite my late start. There was a large group camping there, so I decided to just stay in the shelter. It allows me to get an earlier start in the morning anyway. There was one other NOBO staying here, and a group of 3 came in a little later. They were out for a few days, and this was their first time backpacking. It was pretty evident when they were asking one another if the water they got from the brook tasted funny. We were able to give them a little advice, and I hope they're able to enjoy the trip. It's kind of a big section they're trying to complete, especially for their first time out. I wish them well, and I hope they stick with it!

The game room at the inn. It had all of these really neat old games in it. 

A sticker on the pub wall 

The first 4-walled shelter I stayed in. I think it barely classifies as that though, since there weren't any window coverings. Still pretty neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment