Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 39: Franconia Notch to Kinsman Notch

Today's Miles: 16.3
Total Miles: 389.4

I decided to bite off probably a little bit more than I should have today and chose to follow through with the 16 mile slackpack between the two notches. I don't regret making the decision, simply because it's supposed to rain Tuesday, and I absolutely refuse to leave if it is. My last two experiences in the rain have been miserable, so if there is an opportunity to sit it out, I will definitely be taking advantage of it. The extra miles today will allow me to not feel so bad about some shorter days. 

The day started off beautifully with a gradual ascent to Lonesome Lake. There were a few brook crossings that I had been warned about because of the recent rains, but they had receded significantly in the last two days so I was able to rock hop across them. I stopped for a snack at the lake, which really is a very beautiful spot. I had hiked here with my brother a few years ago when I was home on leave, and I was looking forward to being back here. There were a lot of tourists, so I didn't want to hang out for too long. I continued on to the Kinsman Mountains, two more peaks above 4000 feet. The climb was rocky, but not too difficult. There was a beautiful view from North Kinsman on a small outlook, but the peak of South Kinsman was too crowded with day hikers. I kept going to another point, where I talked to a former thru hiker and section hiker, Bag Lady and Easy Does It. I recommended they stop for lunch there if they were planning to since the summit was so busy. There were some steep parts on the descent, but overall it wasn't a terrible climb down. It was much easier without the extra weight on my back forcing me down quicker. The trail followed Eliza Brook for almost a mile, which was really nice and had some  waterfalls along the way. I passed the NOBOs who were at Chet's as well, but slackpacking the other way just before Eliza Brook Shelter. I had to stop to tape up a blister forming on my heel. I really wonder if these blisters are ever going to quit. From there, I had a gradual ascent to Mount Wolf, which seemed to drag on forever. I was ready to be done at that point, but the trail wasn't ready for that I guess! There was't really a view on the top of the mountain, which is always a little upsetting. There was a lot of mud that hadn't dried out yet, and I had to spend a lot of time trying to dodge the giant mud puddles. After that, the miles passed in a blur. These are the miles I just get completely absorbed in my own thoughts and hope the time goes quick. When I knew I was close, I called for the shuttle and continued down to the road. I didn't have to wait too long, which was great seeing as it was already 6:30 at that point. I finished the 16 miles in about 9 and a half hours, so I was pretty happy about that. I was too lazy to go to town for dinner, so I just ate frozen yogurt for dinner (banana peanut butter - delicious!) and called Payce after a hot shower. It's always nice to have a shower after a long day of hiking. The other hikers haven't arrived back yet, so I hope they're ok! Tomorrow it will back to reality of hiking with full pack weight, but I'll be climbing the last mountain of the Whites. Can't wait! 

Crossing under the highway

Cascade Brook

Lonesome Lake

These things should exist everywhere!

The view from North Kinsman

South Kinsman view

Eliza Brook falls

2 comments:

  1. Breathtaking pictures, really. Exactly this week last summer I was on a family vacation here in Franconia Notch. I hiked up to Lonesome lake from the gorge and as soon as I walked into the AMC hut, it started to DOWN-POUR, i took it as a sign. I plan to thru-hike the AT once I finish college in 2 years and am currently preparing and researching gear, im glad I stumbled on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drew! It really is an incredible area. I'm envious of your luck with the rain - hopefully you keep that when you get out on the trail! Best of luck with your preparation. It's never too early to start researching!

      Delete