Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day 43: Orford to Bill Ackerly's

Today's Miles: 16.1
Total Miles: 424.6

This morning was probably the first time I had set an alarm clock the entire time I've been on the trail. Jimmy, the caretaker, was going to take me back to the trail around 7:00, so I didn't want to be late. Honestly, I probably didn't need the alarm since I hardly ever sleep that late anymore. I got up and made some oatmeal for breakfast before heading out. The Sugar Farm allows hikers to use their pancake mix and homemade syrup for breakfast, but I thought it would be pointless to make that all for one person. Jimmy picked me up and brought me back to the trailhead around 7:30. 

The day started with a gradual ascent up Mount Cube. The trail was nice and smooth, and I was wondering if it had been an old road at some point. There were a lot of old rock walls, so I'm guessing there were a lot of farms in this area a long time ago. Even though the climb wasn't terrible, it still always kicks my butt first thing in the morning. I reached the summit after 3 and a half miles, called home, took a snack break, and continued to the descent. The trail got very rocky at that point, and there were a lot of ups and downs. The rocks eventually subsided, and it was smooth trail again after that except for the copious amounts of mud. I stopped at South Jacobs Brook for lunch before the climb up Smarts Mountain. There was a fire tower at the top that I climbed up for a few minutes. It presented an incredible view, even if I was a little afraid to look straight down at first. There was a group of high schoolers out for the day coming down the tower when I walked up, and I was honestly wondering if there was a weight limit up there. There were just so many of them! When I reached Lamberts Ridge there was a camera crew doing an interview with the Wounded Warrior hikers. I wish I could have talked to them, but they seemed in the middle of the interview so I didn't want to interrupt. The last few miles passed quickly and without much excitement. I was heading to the road crossing to stay at Bill Ackerly's, a man that gives ice cream and water to hikers and offers a game of croquet in his backyard to pass the time. 

When I arrived at Bill's, he was out of town but there were a bunch of NOBOs hanging around. There is someone here watching the house while he's away, and I was still able to get my free ice cream. He has a blue house with porches all around that offer plenty of places to sit and socialize. The property is covered in an array of beautiful gardens as well. Some NOBOs here zeroed and cooked up a delicious soup and made a salad that they offered to everyone staying. It was pretty incredible. I pitched my tent, and I'm hoping it will finally dry out tonight. It definitely needs it. I'm still a little amazed that I have managed to stay in backyards for almost this entire week. Maybe it will keep the bears away!

It's hard to see, but there's a farm sitting beside the mountains. 

South Jacobs Brook

Moose tracks

Smarts Mountain Fire Tower

Long way down


The view from Lamberts Ridge

It's hard to see here, but it looks like this stone work used to be a foundation for a house. 


Bumblebee

Ice cream man!

Lured off the trail by free ice cream. Not sketchy at all. 

A beautiful place to call home for the night 

Croquet, anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment