Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 12: Monson to Bald Mountain Stream

Today's Miles: 15.9
Total Miles: 130.4

I finally got my feet back on the trail today. I flew into Boston and stayed the night there at a hostel. It was nice to be able to walk around the city a little. I do have to say thanks to South Korea for giving me a basic understanding of public transit systems. It is SO much easier when everything is in English. I took a bus up to Bangor from South Station, got a shuttle back to Monson from Phil, and stayed in one of his cabins for the night. He showed me around the place he is building, showed me how to eat cold oatmeal, and told me I've been using my hiking poles incorrectly the entire time. And by entire time, I mean the last 3 years or so. Oops! Thanks, Phil! He told me the way to the trail from there, and I was on my way.

My goal today was to make it to Moxie Bald Mountain Lean-to, but I fell about 2 miles short. I really expected that I would be ready to go and be able to push out some good miles today. Boy, was I wrong. I still made it a pretty good distance, but I really expected my body to hold up a little bit longer. Honestly, in the two weeks off the trail my feet and knees haven't stopped hurting at all. It's really a little worrying. I've had too many problems with my feet and ankles recently, and I've never had knee problems so I hope this isn't something new starting. Today was mentally tough too. I miss home, and being there for such a short time made me realize that even more. It's also been really lonely out here. I saw 4 northbound hikers, but not a single southbounder. There was one hiker I came across that seemed to be very scrutinizing. The first thing he did was look at my pack, I'm assuming to seeing it was up to his 'standard.' He then started to critique on a lot of little things, down to the weight of my sandals. It would have been one thing if I had asked for his opinion, but I didn't. I don't understand how someone can get through life being so critical. It seems like you wouldn't leave yourself anything to be happy about! I miss the group I was with before. Hopefully I meet some new people out here to help make the time go a little quicker. Until then, it's just me and my thoughts. 

The hike today was uneventful. There were a few miles that followed the river and two river fords of the Piscataquis River. Both were fairly calm and were only just above knee deep at the highest point. I made it through both without falling, which was a surprise to me. I spent some time after the second just soaking my feet and enjoying the views.
There were a few small hills, but nothing too significant. I'm currently stealth camping along the trail, and I'm hoping for a quiet night. This is the first time I've actually stealth camped, so we'll see how it goes. I'm hiding in my tent because the mosquitoes were starting to appear in droves as the sun continued to set. They were slightly less annoying today than some of the previous days on the trail, which really isn't saying much. 

I did do a lot of thinking today. While I was home, I learned of the recent passing of a friend in the military who I've known pretty much the entire time I was in the Army. He was such a good person, and he was too young for this to happen to him. I wish I could have been there to say goodbye, but his service was the day after I headed back to Maine. It did make me realize that I can't take my life and my dreams for granted. Life is happening right now. It's not going to wait for me while I put off the things I hope to accomplish. I hope it makes me appreciate every moment out here a little bit more. Rest in peace, SSG Keas. My heart goes out to his family during this trying time. 

Hello, Mr. Snail. 

Piscataquis River

Worst sign placement ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment