Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 20: Spaulding Mountain Lean-to to Poplar Ridge Lean-to

Today's Miles: 8.0
Total Miles: 209.7

After the tough, rocky climbs yesterday, I really couldn't push myself through the last 3 miles to the campsite today. I was exhausted, and my hips were aching from the unexpected climbs today. There was a rock that took me about 10 minutes to find a way up. If I had pushed on past the lean-to, I would have had another steep climb up Saddleback Junior before making camp. There were a few climbs today, but none that offered a good view. Most were covered by trees except for a small opening on Poplar Ridge. There were a few nice stream walks and a small stream ford that made some of the miles a little bit more enjoyable. Tomorrow will start with some tough climbs in the morning, but it looks like it will level out some going into Rangely. I made it into the lean-to around 2:00 today, and Peter and Delta are staying as well. They started a fire that smoked me out of the corner of the shelter for a little while. There was a quick rain shower that passed through this afternoon, and a few hikers stopped here until it finished up. I was thankful I wasn't caught in it while hiking uphill. Hopefully this will be the last of the rain for a few days. 

Perham Stream

View from Poplar Ridge - dark clouds overhead

No comments:

Post a Comment