Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 11: Long Pond Stream Lean-to to Monson

Today's Miles: 15.0
Total Miles: 114.5

"I made it through the wilderness
Some how I made it through.
Didn't know how lost I was until I found you (Monson)
I was beat, incomplete
I'd been had, I was sad and blue
But you made me feel
Yeah you made me feel
Shiny and new (Monson)"

We made it! The 100 Mile Wilderness is done. Hearing cars for the first time was actually amazing. I woke up at 5:30 hoping an early start would help today. The day started off slow with a rocky ascent that I severely underestimated. I didn't know how the rest of the day was going to end up. Flip and Wes passed me pretty early on. I was so relieved when I was passed by Flip because I couldn't take walking into another spiderweb. That's the hardest part about being the first one on the trail in the morning. It can be a little overwhelming. I had to ford a brook today, and naturally I fell into it. This shouldn't surprise me at this point. I made it through the first ford of the day fine, but this one (an easier one at that) just kicked my butt. Hannah caught up not long after that point. She was really charging hard today. They originally planned on stopping at the last lean-to and hiking in the last 3 miles tomorrow, but she realized the pub was closed on Mondays. It gave her a little bit more motivation to get there tonight. We stayed together for the rest of the day until about the last mile. I got to Leeman Brook Lean-to where Flip and Wes were already waiting and told them about Hannah thinking about heading to town. I was going to continue either way, but she was persuaded when she got to the lean-to. It was about 4:00 at the point, and if we wanted to eat we had to be there by 8:00. The two of us got a head start while Flip and Wes packed up, but they flew by us shortly after. It was a struggle just to climb past the brook, so we hoped this wasn't an indication of the next 3 miles. After a few small climbs, it became pretty level. It started raining again, but at that point there was very little that could put a damper on my spirits. I was so happy to make it to the trail head and see the highway in front of me. Someone had left some trail magic at the trail head so I had a pop-tart and a coke while I waited for Hannah. Flip and Wes hitched into town before we got there since it was about 4 miles down the road. Hannah and I then had to try our hand at hitching a ride. We had a few cars pass us, but someone eventually turned around and offered us a ride. We sat in the back of his truck so didn't stink up the cab, and it was probably the greatest feeling in the world at that point. We went straight to the pub, which is also a hostel, so we could eat. We got a nice applause when we walked in all smelly and muddy. The only thing I could think about was getting my shoes off. We ordered food, and Rebekah, the owner, brought us some homemade mac and cheese while we waited. I was sold after that. We decided to stay there. Hannah met up with some other people she knew from the trail. Flip and Wes were supposed to meet us there, but they didn't show up until later. We were afraid they were kidknapped while hitching or something...I was able to get a nice hot shower and do laundry which was amazing. The humidity the last few days made everything extra sweaty and smelly. There are a lot of great people staying here tonight, but most will be heading back out to the trail tomorrow. Tomorrow we'll be going to Shaw's for all you can eat breakfast, and I can't wait! I'll be heading back to Texas to take of a few things for a few days, but can't wait to get back out here and continue this adventure.

Last lean-to stay in the 100 Mile Wilderness

100 miles marker


Attempting to hitch for the first time

No comments:

Post a Comment