Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 17: Safford Notch Campsite to Stratton

Today's Miles: 10.4
Total Miles: 188.2

I woke up this morning feeling a little more refreshed than some of the more recent days. According to some of the other hikers, there was some type of critter running around camp last night. I must have slept through the whole commotion because I didn't hear a thing. I was one of the last ones to head out of camp. The having to bandage blisters all over my feet seems to take an exorbitant amount of time. Today started off with a climb to Avery Peak. It was a beautiful view at the top, but the wind almost blew me over a few times. I took shelter behind a rock and stopped for a snack. There was another peak to climb about a half mile down. This stretch to West Peak was much quicker. I stopped to talk to a few section hikers that had camped at the site between the peaks last night. The view on West Peak was equally as incredible. It was a little hazy, but the the visibility was still great. I've been lucky enough to not have to summit a mountain in the rain yet, and have been welcomed by an amazing view every time. There was still another climb to South Horn, and then it was down to Horns Pond where I stopped for lunch. MDot was there, and we decided to take a nice afternoon nap to avoid the hottest part of the day. It was a great decision, and we were able to push on the last 5 miles to Stratton. The original plan was to stop at Cranberry Stream Campground about 2 miles before town, and hike a nearo (a day close to zero miles) into town. There were thunderstorms in the forecast tonight, so I was able to convince MDot to head into town. I really wasn't feeling the whole being stuck in the rain if I was so close to town. We still made it in by about 5:00, plenty of time to shower, do laundry, and get some dinner. I always feel like a new person after cleaning up. I'll be taking a zero day in town tomorrow so I can resupply on food and pack everything back up. Some of the group we've been with lately will be continuing on tomorrow, so some of the trail entertainment I've looked forward to at the end of the day will be missed. It's all a part of the trail though. Maybe our paths will cross again somewhere along the line. 


West Peak from Avery Peak


Bunkhouse life - Me, Woody, Doctor, and Choo Choo

No comments:

Post a Comment