Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 22: Little Swift River Pond Campsite to Bemis Mountain Lean-to

Today's Miles: 12.9
Total Miles: 238.1

I woke up very cold this morning and dreaded getting out of my sleeping bag. I ate my breakfast by the pond with the hope of seeing a moose. I didn't, of course, but Uno and Live Simply said one showed up right after I had left. So typical. The hike today didn't start off too bad. It was fairly easy terrain - a few small hills and some mud here and there. One of my hiking poles broke going down a hill. The bottom just decided it felt like falling out, but there is an outfitter in Bethel that does repairs on them. Uno and Live Simply tried to help fix it when they passed by, but it's just being held together by duct tape right now. At least it only has to make it a day and half until town. I stopped by a pond for lunch, where Dr. Evil and Rerun were passing by. They stopped for a bit too, and I continued hiking with them until they reached the campsite they were staying at. I still had about 3.5 miles left at that point, so I continued on. I had to start climbing Bemis Mountain to reach the lean-to, but it took much longer than it should have. Why, you ask? Blueberries. I can't pass by a blueberry bush without grabbing a few. I'm surprised I don't look like Violet from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory yet. It wasn't until I passed a few people that were part of a Boy Scout troop that I realized I had to get my act together and hurry up. Thankfully, they saved me a spot so I didn't have to throw down over a tentsite with any Boy Scouts tonight. Thanks, guys! I've also learned today that you can never trust a NOBO when they say "You're close to the lean-to," or "You're almost there." Their perception of distance is much different than mine at this point. It's going to be a cold night and even colder morning. We're staying at almost 3000 feet elevation, so I just might be sleeping in tomorrow. 

Since I saw moose trucks in the mud yesterday and today, all I can think about is Moose Tracks ice cream. Hurry up, Andover! I need some!

Tacked-on white blazes

Just a random boulder field

At least the day ended better than it started!

2nd Peak of Bemis Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment