Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 83: Hamburg to Eagle's Nest Shelter

Today's Miles: 9.3
Total Miles: 981.5

I left town late and didn't make it very far today. I was kept up a lot last night by the pains in my feet and ankles. I had hoped it would take a little longer than this to return, but I guess the terrain hasn't helped much. 

I started the day by walking through Port Clinton a little ways and up a steep ascent. It was a gain of almost a thousand feet, but it was fairly quick. It was just hot and slow thanks to the humidity and the afternoon heat. 

I wish there was more to talk about today, but it was pretty boring and typical Pennsylvania - rocky and mostly flat. Sometimes I feel like I'm never going to make it out of this state, which makes me worry about how I'll handle being in Virginia for so long. The last few states passed by so fast, so I guess it's just an adjustment. 

I was a little unimpressed when I saw the spring at the shelter. It was barely flowing. Maybe the rain forecasted for tonight will help it out some. I was the first one at the shelter tonight, but a group of 4 guys in their late 30's showed up shortly after. They were old college buddies out for the weekend and were a pretty entertaining crowd. It sounds like they'll be up for a while as I get ready for bed. Good thing I can sleep through almost anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment