Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 82: Eckville Shelter to Hamburg

Today's Miles: 14.5
Total Miles: 972.2

Today was a short day and very slow going. It was very warm since there's a bit of a heat wave passing through, and it reached the 80's today. There were actually some elevation changes today, and plenty of rocks to go around. 

The day started off nicely, and there were even some areas of no rocks. I headed up to the Pinnacle and took what would be the first in a series of very long breaks today. I sat and watched some birds flying by. I don't know what they were, but they were so close I could hear their wings cutting the air as they passed. There were at least a dozen of them at one point. 

I continued on to a rocky descent and stopped for lunch shortly after. There was a lady out with her two dogs that I had leapfrogged with a few times throughout the day, and she passed for the final time since she was heading out at the next road. She had just had knee surgery, and this was her first trip out since then. A big kudos to her. A few other day hikers passed by while I ate. 

There were a few more small ups and downs, and I decided to head into town to pick up a few things. Mostly, it was because I had run out of fruit snacks and didn't think I could survive without them. I called Cabela's at the trailhead, and they picked me up. I needed to get some fuel anyway, so it worked out. I've been using the same canister since Maine, so I'm sure I'll be running out soon. I stayed at the hotel in Hamburg, where they fortunately had a single room open up last minute. I'm looking forward to the more affordable lodging options further south. There is no way I could afford to stay in towns if it stayed this way. My laundry's in the wash, and I was able to take a hot shower. I dined on some Red Robin for dinner, and it was delicious. Yummm. I was reminded today of my recent craving for banana creme pie after I heard mention of it in the audiobook I was listening to, so I picked some up at Walmart and ashamedly ate the whole thing. I'm looking forward to a good night's rest tonight.  

A giant stack of rocks




No rocks!



A ground level shot of the PA rocks

Part of the giant Cabela's taxidermy display


2 comments:

  1. Amy,
    Just started following your post yesterday, and I spent a lot of time reading it from beginning to the current post My dad finished the AT in 1995, at age 53.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last post was on the 10th, so I'm wondering about you. Is the National Park closed? Your air mattress damaged? Are you injured? I went toned last night wondering if I am fit enough to hike, sleep on the ground, and be by myself in the wilderness. I hope you continue and finish!

    ReplyDelete