Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 79: Smith Gap Road to Palmerton

Today's Miles: 12.0
Total Miles: 932.3

My first day back out on the trail, and already one that I wish I could forget. I took the overnight bus back to Easton, and I somehow thought it would be a good idea to hike out this morning. John Stempa picked me up from the bus station, and we only made it a few miles before I realized I had left my sleeping bag on the bench. We drove back, and I could only hope that it would still be there. Thankfully, two men that were on the last bus with me recognized it and were turning it into the ticket counter when I walked up. I was so relieved and very thankful that good honest people picked it up. That would have been difficult to replace at this point. John brought me back to the trailhead and showed me some Chestnut trees in the area. Apparently he works with a group that identifies them along the trail. I repacked my bags before moving on. It was a late start, but I was feeling confident. That wouldn't last for long. 

When I stopped for lunch, I heard someone behind me say "Is that Breeze?" It was Grub, a SOBO I hadn't seen since the beginning of New Hampshire. I learned that he was getting off the trail today and heading back home. He had been alone on the trail for a while, and it had gotten to him. It was a little hard to see on the first day back, but I tried to stay motivated. 

I had missed the sign for the spring along the trail, and struggled to make it through the day with only a 20 ounce bottle of water. I passed a day hiker and asked if there was any water up ahead, and she offered me a water bottle. There wouldn't be another water source all day. I don't know what I would have done if she had not offered me that bottle. I was overtired, dehydrated, and had a migraine setting in. That little bit of water at least gave me a little something more to keep me going.  I wanted to stop, but I wouldn't have enough water to make it through the night. 

I had to pass through the Superfund site, which is apparently a large area of zinc waste. It was all along an open ridgeline, which was even worse for my water shortage. As I continued on, I started to get a shooting pain in my knee with every step. I wasn't expecting this my first day back on the trail. It made for very slow going the rest of the day. 

As I made my way down to Palmerton, I was presented with a giant boulder field to descend. It was starting to get dark at this point, and by the time I reached the road night had moved in. I called a taxi to get into town, where I felt I had no other choice to go. I needed water. I went to the police station to register to stay at the Jailhouse Hostel in the Borough Hall basement, where hikers can stay for free. I went back to wait for the police officer to unlock the door, but he didn't come. Around 9:00, someone peered through the basement door and yelled at me to "Hit the road." I tried to explain I was a hiker, but he walked away. I guess he had still been inside and was locking up for the night. He was not very friendly and let me in reluctantly. At this point, I was tired and hungry, and my head was pounding. I pulled out my sleeping bag, and I'm ready to sleep and accept that this day is finally over. 








No comments:

Post a Comment