Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 75: Murray Property to Gren Anderson Shelter

Today's Miles: 18.4
Total Miles: 865.2

It started raining just before heading out this morning, but it passed quickly. I hiked alone for most of the morning, where the trail started off by following through some fields. I could see the sun just starting to break its way through the clouds. It then started to gradually ascend to High Point. I saw a few deer as I started back in the woods, but they were quickly startled away. I made it to the top of the mountain, where there was an observation tower and platform. I stopped for a break at the platform, and Doc and Chaco caught up shortly after. We descended down to the state park so they could fill up on water. We were pleased to find that thru hikers were offered a free soda, so we were all able to enjoy an orange soda before heading back out. I continued on while Doc and Chaco played catch with her rain cover. 

I found a beautiful overlook where I enjoyed a nice lunch break and waited for the other two to catch back up. We hiked on together for most of the day and stopped for a break on top of Sunrise Mountain. There was a neat pavilion at the top, and the sky was painted with all kinds of beautiful colors from the sun getting ready to set. We met another SOBO at the top named Pumba. We continued for a few more miles to the shelter, where Taxi, Chewie, and Pumba already were. Taxi was trying to find a place that delivered pizza since there was a road nearby. He finally found a Chinese food restaurant that would make the trip out, and the others all ordered something as well. 

It was beautiful weather once the rain cleared up today, but it's already starting to cool down quite a bit tonight. It's early, but I'm already in my sleeping bag and don't really feel like climbing back out of my warm cocoon tonight. I guess I'll be calling it an early night tonight. 

The Murray property


High Point Monument



A few rocks...


Sunrise Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment