Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 10: Chairback Gap Lean-to to Long Pond Stream Lean-to

Today's Miles: 10.9
Total Miles: 99.4

I slept pretty restlessly last night because my feet were hurting so bad. When I woke up they were unbelievably swollen. I struggled a little to put my shoes on. There was a guy named Windsock that came in later last night and ended up just sleeping in his sleeping bag in the trees. I felt kind of bad about that. This morning started off with a climb up the rest of the mountain we were on. Windsock and I stopped to get water and he let me use his back-up charger. Thankfully, I was able to charge my phone some (Thank you!). It was another very rocky day. We had to climb over Third, Fourth, and Barren Mountains. I called Payce on Third Mountain, and we were finally able to talk for a little while. It started to rain, but I didn't really care at that point. It was a rainy day and I slipped and fell about 5 times on the rocks. I'm glad my pack usually catches me on my falls. I would be pretty bruised up right now if that wasn't the case. I hiked with Hannah the last 4 miles of the day. She started hiking in her Chacos yesterday because her boots were bothering her too much. We were going to stop at Cloud Pond Lean-to for a break, but it ended up being almost half a mile off the trail. I dropped my pack where it split and just ate lunch there. The last 1.3 miles of the day was all downhill. That mixed with rain is a bad combination. The lean-to we are at tonight doesn't have any tentsites, so I'll be staying in here tonight. I noticed today that my shoes are already falling apart, so I'll be returning those as soon as I head back home. Tomorrow I will be hitting 100 miles and hiking the final 15 miles into town. It will be a good day!
On top of Third Mountain


View from Barren Ledges

No comments:

Post a Comment