Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 4: Rainbow Spring to Wadleigh Stream Lean-to

Today's Miles:11.9
Total Miles: 38.2


I have decided that I am going to rename the 100 Mile Wilderness the 100 Miles of Mud, Rocks, and Roots. I can safely say a good 98% of the trail contains at least one of these factors at any given time so far. This morning I pushed out around 8:30 so I could knock out the 12 miles necessary to reach the lean-to today. As I started the trail, I passed the thru-hiker I met at Abol Bridge. His name is Andrew (now Blue Skies) who said a moose was just on the trail about 20 minutes before I came by. Boo! The first 4 miles to the first lean-to were pretty quick. It was by a nice steam, and I was a little tempted to just stop and stay there. I took off my shoes to give my feet a break while I had lunch. Apparently a slug had crawled into my shoe during the night because I had some bright orange-colored goo all over the side of my sock. I took out my insole, and sure enough, that's where the little guy was hiding! What a random surprise. With about 4 miles left of the hike, it started to rain. Andrew caught up to me with about 2 miles left and we hiked the rest of the way together. He recommended the trail name "Breeze" and I think it might stick. We passed a few hikers about a mile from the lean-to going the opposite way who said it was already full. That was a little disheartening. I was really looking forward to having somewhere dry to sleep. I thought we would have a pretty good chance because we didn't pass any other hikers all day. Some if the hikers here summitted Katahdin with Blue, and the others are just doing the 100 Mile Wilderness. It still hasn't stopped raining as I get ready for bed. Everything is a little soggy and I'm curled up in my sleeping bag trying to stay warm. I haven't been cold yet, and it's been in the 40's at night, so I hope tonight won't be any different. 

A tree branch just fell from the tree behind my tent and landed about 5 feet away. Here's to hoping there won't be any reoccurrences of that tonight.

Footbridge over Rainbow Stream

Rock Hopping

No comments:

Post a Comment