Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day 65: Salisbury to Caesar Brook Campsite

Today's Miles: 19.7
Total Miles: 709.3

Oh, how difficult it was to climb out from underneath my warm cocoon of blankets at Maria's this morning. I couldn't help but think, "Maybe just a little bit longer..." But the trail was calling, and I knew I had to continue on. 

After a great breakfast, I walked the half mile back to the trail. It was still only 40 degrees when I made my way outside. Milkrun and Cerveza were stealth camped near the road but were still asleep when I passed. I had an immediate climb up Giants Thumb, where I saw a deer pass in front of me, and was soon greeted with a view of a beautiful open field with the mountains behind it. I stopped to take a break, and Crunchmaster, Milkrun, and Cerveza passed by shortly after. It was too cold, so I continued on. 

I spent some time walking along the Housatonic River today. The trail had some weird twists and turns, and in some parts it seemed like every white blaze was a double blaze signifying a change in direction. There were some roads, but the CT trail maintainers are pretty good about posting a map anytime there's a road walk so it limits the chances of me getting lost. There were a lot of ups and downs, nothing too significant but enough to make me tired. I was planning on continuing on to Silver Hill Campsite, which was another 3.4 miles, but decided to stay at Caesar Campsite because there would have been another 3 climbs. It worked out well. The other 3 are staying here as well, but I'm already curled up in my sleeping bag since its going to be another cold night tonight. 








No comments:

Post a Comment