Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 61: October Mountain Shelter to Lee

Today's Miles: 7.2
Total Miles: 639.1

I am never going to make it out of Massachusetts at this rate. I didn't sleep well last night thanks to people arriving at the shelter late and the huge thunderstorms that passed through. I headed out hesitantly after a little bit of rain passed by, hoping that I wouldn't get caught in a surprise shower. Rain wasn't expected until the afternoon, but there was a 100% chance of it after that, according to the Weather Channel (which is a huge liar).

I had been impressed the last few days that the trail remained almost entirely mud free despite all the rain. This was not the case today. The trail was a mess.  It started raining about an hour into the hike, so I made up my mind to stay at the lodge just off the trail in Lee. I spent 6 years having no control over the conditions I worked or trained in, so it feels nice to be able to say, "I don't actually have to walk in the rain if I don't want to!" What freedom! 

There were a few mountains today - Bald Top, Walling, and Becket - but I flew by them quickly since there was nothing to see in the rain. I ended up walking down to the road from Becket with a weekend hiker named Adrian. This was his first trip out, and I felt a little bad about the experience he had. It would have been a beautiful hike otherwise. He headed to his car and I headed thankfully to the lodge, ready to free myself of the wet shoes and socks. I'm staying at the Berkshire Lakeside Lodge which is in a beautiful spot and would be beautiful to enjoy in nice weather. The rain still hasn't come, and I feel like I've wasted another whole day. Thanks, weatherman. Thankfully the weather is looking up until next weekend, and I hope I can make up for some of these awful days I've had. 

Rain, rain, go away. 



No comments:

Post a Comment