Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 59: Mark Noepel Shelter to Tom Levardi's, Dalton

Today's Miles: 14.4
Total Miles: 620.6

There's nothing like being woken up to a huge rainstorm rolling in around 2:00. I heard the raindrops starting to fall, quickly followed by HJ cursing and jumping out of his tent to attach the rain fly he planned on sleeping without. It started to pour, and apparently he got pretty drenched in the process. I was happy to be nice and dry in my tent while I listened to the fiasco. The mud and rain made packing everything up this morning pretty dreadful, and although I was dry, I was a little jealous of those who stayed in the shelter. 

The trail started with a pretty slick descent which made for some pretty slow going. It didn't take long to make it to the Chesire road crossing where I, of course, went the wrong way. Roads and I really don't get along out here, and I've  learned that reflectors on the power lines are not white blazes... I was able to figure out where I was and take another road that connected back with the AT. It worked out I guess, since I was able to stop at a small store for a soda. I talked to a lady who was sitting on her porch for a little while. She was very sweet and said she says a prayer for the hikers every morning at mass, that a band of angels watch over them on their travels. I thanked her and continued on through the town. 

The sun always seems to sneak its way out just in time for an uphill climb. Today was no different. I have sweat more the last few days from all the humidity than I have the entire trip. I took a lunch break at the Cobbles, a rocky outlook, where I was able to take a minute to talk to my brother and wish him a happy birthday. 

Shortly after I started hiking again, I could hear thunder rolling in the distance. I was planning on staying at Tom Levardi's house in town since the book said he allowed hikers to tent in his yard. I finished the last few miles there, a little bit of it being a road walk through the town. It's a good thing I was calling it quits because my feet were not having any more hiking. There was no way I would have made it to the next shelter with my feet that felt like they had plywood strapped to the bottoms. When I got to Tom's, HJ and a hiker named Crunchmaster were there. The latter had been waiting a few days for Milkrun and Cerveza to show up, which they did later. I was expecting to put my tent up outside, but would soon be offered a shower, laundry, food, and a place to sleep inside for the night. Wow. This is not what I was anticipating at all! It was all much appreciated as a thunderstorm came rolling through shortly after. Thank you, Tom, for all you do! 

HJ and I headed into town for some food and ice cream, and we all sat on the porch talking for a little while when we got back. I'm thankful that I'm out of this storm tonight and in good company. Now if this rain would hold off so I could get some miles down, I'd be all set!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment