Sunday, September 15, 2013

Day 67: Schaghticoke Campsite to Telephone Pioneers Shelter

Today's Miles: 18.2
Total Miles: 744.5

So I didn't end up being at the campsite alone last night after all. It started to rain just before I got ready to go to sleep, and I could see the headlamp of another hiker as he looked for a place to set up. I would later learn this was Squared Away, the brother of Woody who I met in Maine.

I was glad to see my food bag still in place when I got up this morning. Thanks, raccoons, for not stealing all my food. I headed out of camp and was happy to know I was crossing the state line into New York. It didn't last too long since I was back in CT shortly after, but it's still a pretty big deal. I met a day hiker named Mark who was out with his dog. He was nice enough to bring a hand saw out with him to cut a tree that had fallen across the trail. He said he walks this trail a lot, and this is not the first time he's done this. Thanks for your unofficial trail maintenance, Mark! I saw two deer as I descended down to Bull Bridge Road, which was a nice surprise. I decided to walk the half mile or so to the store down the road. It was nice to have orange juice and ice cream, and I was able to grab something for lunch later. Definitely a good decision. I met Squared Away at the Ten Mile River Shelter when I stopped for a break, as well as a guy who was hiking in the area for a few days. Shortly after, I crossed into New York for good. The trail hasn't been too bad so far. I had some pretty flat areas to hike through, and I passed the train station right on the trail that heads to NYC. There was a nice walk through a field, where I was able to sit and watch hundreds of white and yellow butterflies fluttering by. There was also a hummingbird flying in and out of some flowers, which I think might be the first one I've really seen in the wild and not at a bird feeder. At the next road crossing, I passed by what is supposed to be the largest oak tree on the trail called the Dover Oak. I stopped at a house that offers water to hikers a little down the road since the next shelter showed an unreliable source. I was really glad I did because the stream that was supposed to be the water supply here was terrible. I was happy to see some more SOBOs when I made it up to the shelter. Goatman and Jubilee are here, some of the first people I met on the trail in Maine, as well as Pabst and HJ. I pitched my tent, grabbed a quick snack, and am headed to bed. Everyone else is still out by the fire, but I'm just too tired to join in. 













No comments:

Post a Comment